We definitely come in contact with some or the other chemical throughout the day. Laundry detergent is one of them. You may consider laundry detergent as a common product but it is full of chemicals. Along with its advantages, it also has many disadvantages. We remain unaware of some.
Laundry detergent can cause many skin problems, such as allergies, skin infections, and bacterial infections. Similarly, there is a problem BV (Bacterial Vaginosis). BV can be caused by laundry detergent.
So in this article, you will know in detail about the problem of BV due to laundry detergent.
What is BV
BV is bacterial vaginosis, which is spoken and written in short. Bacterial Vaginosis refers to a form of vaginal inflammation that is caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the vagina. This disturbs the natural balance.
Bacterial vaginosis (BV) occurs when there are too many bacteria in the vagina. This alters the normal balance of bacteria within the vagina.
Although bacterial vaginosis is most common in women during their reproductive years, it can also affect any woman at any age.
BV is the most common condition of vaginal health in women between 15 and 44 years old. Although the cause of BV is not fully understood, certain activities such as frequent douching and unprotected sexual activity can increase your risk.
Fortunately, BV cannot be contracted from swimming pools, toilet seats, or bedding.
Know about, laundry detergent in the toilet tank.
Can Laundry Detergent Cause BV
As you know, BV happens when the bacteria levels in the vulva get messed up and the chemicals in the pH balance get altered. Itching products, improper care, and negligence can cause this balance to be disturbed.
Unfortunately, laundry detergent is one of the products that cause itching. Dangerous types of laundry detergent can cause skin and BV-related problems for you.
Laundry detergents containing phosphates, sulfates, high fragrances, and dangerous chemicals can give you itching, BV, and hives.
Therefore, do pay attention to whether the ingredients included in it are safe or not before using laundry detergent. Always use biodegradable detergents and cleaning agents.
BV from Laundry Detergent Symptoms
The symptoms of bacterial vaginosis can be severe for up to 84%. When laundry detergent causes BV, it first starts with itching, and it imbalances the pH balance of the vagina. After this, the problem starts increasing.
Vaginal discharge that is thin and gray in color. Burning while peeing, Strong fishy odor. Itching, pain, or burning sensations in the vagina.
- Thoroughly remove laundry detergent from clothing. If some amount of it remains in the clothes, it can create or promote the problem of BV.
- Always use low-chemical or no-chemical laundry detergent. For that, you can make your own detergent at home. This is the safest and best method of prevention.
- Wash your underwear and undergarments separately and do not use laundry detergents for them. Use only mild soap and chemical-free detergent to wash them.
- Avoid using detergents with chemical brighteners, sodium lauryl sulfate, phosphates, and strong odors.
- BV patients’ clothes should be washed separately it can spread to others also.
- You should limit the number of partners you have. Whenever you are in doubt, check the ph balance of the vagina.
BV can be easily treated with antibiotics. These can be pills you swallow or gels or creams you place in your vagina. You need to be more careful during such a problem.
Even if you feel better sooner, make sure to follow the instructions of your doctor. Don’t have sex after you have finished your treatment.
There are many antibiotics that can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis. The most popular are metronidazole or clindamycin.
Probiotics might be helpful if you have persistent BV. Before you try any supplements, consult your doctor.
Read more about, Mixing detergent and bleach for laundry
Best Laundry Detergent for BV in 2023
- Persil ProClean Sensitive Skin
- Seventh Generation Ultra Concentrated
- Babyganics 3X Baby Laundry Detergent
- Charlie’s Soap Liquid
- ECOS® Hypoallergenic Detergent
- Eco-me Plant Based Concentrated
- Tide Free & Gentle
- Mrs. Meyer’s
- All Free & Clear
- Dropps Sensitive Skin HE Natural Pacs
Before using any soap, detergent, dish soap, or other cleaning product, be sure to check the number of its ingredients, safety, instructions, and chemicals.
If you have BV, it is very important to give birth to too soon your baby if you are pregnant. To determine if you have BV or another type of vaginal infection, it is important to consult your healthcare provider. Read More about, Using detergent in a diffuser.